Friday, October 17, 2008

October 17th - Happy Birthday to My Dad and Brothers!

1 Cor 2:9: "No eye has seen, no ear has heard, and no mind has imagined what God has prepared for those who love him."

This verse has been my refuge this week. When I start to doubt or get tired of the daily disappointments and/or struggles, I focus on this verse. ("Try: is the key word here. I am definitely a work in-progress. :) ).


This week is a special week because it is my Dad's and two of my younger brothers' birthdays. (Happy Birthday Guys!!). I so wish we were closer and could celebrate all together. Growing up and still to this day if you are home for your birthday, my Mom would make it a special day. When you woke up, you got your favorite breakfast (well, maybe favorite cereal. :) We loved cereal at my house. When I go home even today, there are still about 10 to 20 boxes in the cupboard at any given time. It is just my Mom and Dad at home too. :) ). Anyway, the night of your birthday, my Mom would make your favorite dinner (your pick) and she would always serve it on the "You Are Special Today" plate. I loved that plate. We also got the plate when we made the honor roll. Then, we would have cake and ice-cream (or whatever dessert you chose - I always chose my Mom's famous brownie torte - yum!!) and open up gifts with the family. My Mom always made the day special. Malcolm bought me a "You Are Special Today" plate for my birthday one year. We can't wait to carry on the tradition with our child(ren) some day. Thanks Mom for this tradition and always making our birthdays so special!





Here is a picture of the famed plate! You can order it online. The funny thing is that every year for my birthday dinner I would pick take-out pizza. I love pizza and still do to this day. It was always humorous to see the pizza boxes and special plate with the take-out pizza on it . I think my Mom loved my birthday dinners! The clean up was the best!

We hope everyone is having a great week and enjoying the Fall so far. We are hoping to go apple picking this weekend. I have been wanting to do that for some time. It is events like picking apples that I cannot wait to share with a child some day. I can just imagine the look on their faces and excitement they would get from such outings.

Thank you all for your love and support!

Love, Christy and Malcolm
lovingparents@live.com

No comments: